I’ve been teaching my own philosophy courses since 2009. In that time, I’ve taught over 50 classes on a broad range of topics. My regulars at UAB are Intro to Philosophy, Bioethics, Ethics: Theories of Good and Evil, and Neuroethics. I also occasionally teach seminars, which usually cover current debates in those fields.
I work hard to make my courses interesting and enjoyable, but also challenging and fair. My teaching evaluations indicate that students appreciate my approach (for a sense, see RateMyProfessors.com). In 2017, I was honored to receive the “Outstanding Professor Award” from the students in UAB’s Early Medical School Acceptance Program.
- Intro to Philosophy – UAB Spring 2018
- Bioethics – UAB Fall 2018
- Ethics: Theories of Good and Evil – UAB Fall 2018
- Neuroethics – UAB Spring 2017 (some student comments)
- Contemporary Moral Issues – UAB Spring 2014
- Seminar: Moral Cognition – Monash, 2013, Sem. 1
- Seminar: Moral Psychology – Monash, 2012, Sem. 2
- Intro to Ethics: Life, Death, and Morality – Monash, 2012, Sem. 1
- Philosophy of Mind – Monash, 2011 & 2012
- Intro Phil: Time, Self, and Mind – Monash, 2011 & 2012
- Moral Psychology – UCSB, Winter 2009
- Critical Thinking – UCSB, Winter 2010
- Freedom & Determinism – UCSB, Spring 2010
- Metaphysics – UCSB, Summer 2009
- Grading Rubric for Paper Assignments (PDF) – how I grade essay assignments.
- How to Do Well in a College (Philosophy) Class – by Matt McCormick.
- Philosophy Basics – some of the basics for those just getting into philosophy.
- How to Construct an Essay – guidelines for writing an essay/paper (primarily in the humanities).
- Writing in Philosophy – guidelines for how to write essays/papers in the discipline of philosophy.
- Philosophy Paper Writing Guidelines – detailed guide from CSUS.
- Sample Philosophy Paper – by Angela Mendelovici (Western Ontario).
- Philosophy Help – more resources for students of philosophy.
- Philosophy Links – links to various philosophy-related websites.
- UAB Philosophy Club – open to all, including non-Philosophy majors.
Why Be a Philosophy Major?
- Major in a Minute: Philosophy – video from Georgia State University.
- What Can I Do with This Major? – Philosophy edition.
- Why Study Philosophy? – a list of good reasons that may apply to you.
- Why Study Philosophy? – video by John Corvino at Wayne State University.
- Why Study Philosophy? – webpage by Phil Dept at USC.
- Why Study Philosophy? – pamphlet PDF by UMSL.
- Surprise: Humanities Degrees Provide Great Return On Investment – Forbes.
- Is Philosophy the Most Practical Major? – article at The Atlantic.
- Philosophers Find the Degree Pays Off in Life And in Work – New York Times.
- Careers; Philosophy Majors in Demand – New York Times.
- The Benefits of Being a Philosophy Major – blog post by Katrina Sifferd.
- GRE Stats by Major – philosophy majors tend to do well; a post at Discover Magazine.
- Which Undergrad Majors Do Best on the LSAT? – by Brian Leiter.
- In a New Generation of College Students, Many Opt for the Life Examined – New York Times.
- Who Studies Philosophy? – celebs and other notables, by the APA.
- Study the Humanities – a toolkit with info on majoring in humanities disciplines.