In addition to teaching and writing, I serve my university and disciplines in various roles, such as:
- Editorial board member for the journal Philosophical Psychology
- Secretary for the Southern Society for Philosophy and Psychology
- Liaison for the Society for Philosophy and Psychology
- Member of UAB’s Institute for Human Rights
- Assistant to the General Editors of the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, a free and open access resource. (My primary role is to manage the design and functionality of the website. In 2009, I redesigned the IEP along with help from Chris Tennberg and Alex Bundy. In 2014, I customized a new theme for the site.)
From 2020-2022, I was on an Academic Cross-Training Fellowship, which relieved me from teaching while I studied neuroscience. Under the mentorship of Dr. Rajesh Kana, I attended lab meetings and audited the courses for UAB’s Behavioral Neuroscience PhD program. That training helped me to further develop cross-disciplinary research and service roles.
Ethics Debate Team
From 2016-2020, I was the coach of UAB’s Ethics Bowl debate team (new coach from 2022 is Dr. Singh). Our Ethics and Bioethics bowl teams have collectively won the national championship several times. In 2019, the Ethics Bowl team came close again, winning 2nd place at the National competition in Baltimore.
I also edit the following categories at philpapers.org (a database of books and articles in philosophy):